ಮೆಣಸಿನಪುಡಿ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ or rasam powder poha- sounds strange right? Well it did to me as well, But to my surprise it tasted heavenly. Menasinapudi avalakki ( in Kannada, rasam powder is called menasina pudi meaning hot pepper powder) so an avalakki made using rasam powder is called Menasina pudi avalakki ;)
It is my MIL's signature dish ( it was passed on to her by her mother and gramma). It is one of the best breakfast I've had till date. My hub loves it so much that he can devour on it at any given point. This also makes for a quick and easy breakfast ( consumes as less as 15-20 minutes) and a light dinner. If you don't have homemade rasam powder you could use MTR or any other readymade rasam powder.
It's a very easy recipe and is best suited for your busy mornings :)
The quantity that i'm making here serves 3 people.
Here it is :)
1. Wash poha with cold running water twice. Soak the poha for 5 minutes in water and drain it. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard. Once it starts spluttering add urad dal, channa dal, green chilli, turmeric and saute for a minute or two. Then add onions and saute until they turn translucent. Now add tomato and fry until they become mushy.
|Thick poha/ Gatti avalakki
|Menasinapudi/ rasam powder
||1 ½ heaped teaspoon
|Green chilli. finely chopped
|Urad dal/ uddin bele
|Channa dal/ kadle bele
2. Add rasam powder/ menasina pudi and curry leaves and give it a quick stir. Now add the poha and salt. Mix well. Enjoy with curd :)
- If you are not a spicy-eater you may want to reduce the number of chillis to 2-3 and one tsp of rasam powder instead of 1 1/2.
- you can also add half a portion of green bell pepper if you wish to.
Labels: breakfast, karnataka, menasinapudi avalakki, poha