KHARA BISCUIT | IYENGAR BAKERY STYLE SAVORY COOKIES




I hate coming up with excuses but this time with all the packing and moving into a new house after coming to India it's been crazy hectic. Unfortunately and apparently I still haven't unpacked and the pics of the procedure is lying safe in another memory card which I don't seem to find at the moment!! I'M EXTREMELY SORRY FOR NOT POSTING THE PROCEDURE PICS, I PROMISE TO UPLOAD THEM ONCE I FIND THE MEMORY CARD. 


 Plus to add to it all the season of festivals have begun.. I barely had time to write anything.. Now that I woke up in the middle of the night I thought it was apt to post this recipe.

Khara/ savory biscuits was something I badly wanted to try since I missed the Bakery style snacks like crazy at US. To my surprise the very first attempt turned out to be perfect!! I was super happy and Aru was delighted. It's such a simple recipe and took me by surprise when I discovered the simplicity of it.

You cannot help but try making it :) especially on a rainy day this comes in as your best buddy with a cup of hot masala chai flavoured high with eilichi and a hint of cinnamon.


Serves- 10
Shelf Life- 3 days

preparation time- 25 minutes.

Ingredients
All purpose flour/ maida flour
1 cup
Butter
1 stick/ 8 tbsp
Salt
2 tsp
Baking powder and soda
1 pinch each
Green chillis, finely chopped
6
Coriander/ cilantro
2 tbsp
Hing/ asafotida
A pinch
Yogurt/ curd
2 tbsp
Directions

1. Sieve the all purpose flour with salt, baking soda and powder into a mixing bowl and melt butter in a microwaveable bowl on high for about a minute. Pre heat oven to 350ºF/ 170º C.

2. Add the butter to the sieved mixture and add green chillis, cilantro, hing, yogurt and mix well to form a dough of a litle harder than chapathi dough consistency. Leave it aside for 10 minutes.

3. Use a rolling pin and roll out the dough to 3 mm thickness and cut them into rounds using a cookie cutter or the lid of a small box, prick them with a fork a couple of times . Lay them on a parchment paper and bake them for about 13-15 minutes until the biscuits turn slightly brown. Cool it on a wire rack and let them harden a bit. Enjoy it as your evening snack with coffee/ tea or badam milk.
  



Note
 

Labels: , , ,