DUM ALOO BANARASI



It's been close to 6 weeks and I know I've been away.. I dont want to be whining about it.. hectic is an understatement.. and I shall not talk about it henceforth.. ;) I shall post whenever I can and whatever I can :) but with love of course :) you see the foodie in me never rests.. it's wide awake.. and full of verve to get back on to it's kingdom of culinary art and reign it with majesty! And it shall! Amen :)


It's past Ganesh chaturthi, Navarathri and Diwali too.. It took me 3 festivals to settle down and stop shuttling between Mysore and Bangalore!! albeit Mysore is an elysium.. I'm gonna miss it like never before! 

Anyway now getting back to the post, I will have more time to make conventional Indian recipes and also talk about Indian festivals with all other embellishments as a part of it.. But I'm definitely gonna miss my huge baking oven up in the US and also miss baking as often as I used to. 
Unless I get myself an OTG here :) 

I made Dum aloo while in US just a few days befor eour departure and trust me I had never ever tasted or tried this recipe anywhere, not even in restaurants.. but the outcome was unbelievably delectable!! it was a heavenly treat for the tastebuds..


Serves- 4 
Shelf life- 2 days if refrigerated. 

Ingredients

To grind into a paste
Onions, roughly chopped
1
Fennel seeds/ saunf
3 tbsp
Cloves
2
Cashews
2 tsp
elichi
5 pods
Jeera/ cumin
1 ½ tsp

Potatoes, boiled and cubed3
onions2
Tomato2
Garam masala1 tsp
Red chilli powder1 tsp
Dhaniya powder1 tsp
Turmeric powder1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste, ( optional)1 ½ tsp
Curd2 tbsp
Oil4 tbsp + 1 tbsp
SaltAs needed
Bay leaves3
Cinnamon1 inch
Red chilli3
Oil1 tsp
Directions

1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan ( non-stick) and add the potatoes and roast them until golden brown on both the sides. 



2. In another pan heat a tablespoon of oil and add jeera, fennel and cashew fry for a minute and then add the onions. Allow it to cool and grind it into a fine paste adding little water. 




3. In the same pan add 2 tablespoons of oil and add the bay leaves, red chilli, cinnamon and add the onions, saute until it turns pink, now add the tomatoes and fry until it turns gooey. Add red chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric, coriander powder and give it a stir and add the curds. Now add the ground mixture and give another stir. Mix in the roasted potatoes and add salt. Give it another stir and garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti/ naan/ chapathi or rice. I made peas pulav along with this. It tasted like ambrosia :) 








Note






Labels: , , ,